Friday, February 22, 2008

The Camping Trip; Part Five

"The Camping Trip" is a five day series, consisting of five different parts, to be presented daily--the 18th to the 22nd--from five different vantage points. If you get behind, don't worry because they'll be on here for good. If you want to get ahead, you're out of luck, because I'm making this up as I go. This is Part Five. If you haven't read Part One, Two, Three or Four they are directly below. Enjoy.

LEO
I started gathering everything together around sunrise. I didn’t sleep at all on Saturday night. It was a very therapeutic experience. I don’t know why but there’s something about staring at a fire for hours on end—watching the logs slowly catch, going from a deep indigo blue to red and then orange and then yellow as the heat rose into colorless fumes.
I broke down the tents and packed the truck while the other four were down at the washhouse brushing their teeth and cleaning up for the ride home. I made peace that night with everyone on that trip—I made peace with myself.
Bengi was the first one to walk back up to the site, carrying his toiletry case in one hand and his towel in the other.
“Thanks for packing everything up, man,” he said, putting his stuff in his duffel bag.
“No problem…I just wanna get home,” I said.
“Rough weekend?” he said, trying to hold back a smile.
“Memorable to say the least,” I said, tossing my bag alongside his in the bed of the truck.
“Sorry it turned out the way it did,” he said.
“Why? I wouldn’t change a thing.”
“I bet.”
“Seriously. And if you wanna take Alyssa out when we get home, feel free,” I said it and I meant it. I knew it was gonna happen anyway, so I figured I’d spare him the odd and dishonest sneaking around.
“Why would you say that?”
“You get along better with her than I ever did…if you like her, don’t let me hold you back.”
“Thanks, man. I think I do like her.”
I already had my funeral with that girl. I wasn’t hoping it would fail, or that she would do all of the same things to him that she did to me. I just figured it would be good to get it out of his system. Honest. I think every guy should date a girl like Alyssa one time in his life—if nothing else, he’ll learn to never marry one like her.
We drove away from that campground about noon. I didn’t sit up front with Bengi and Alyssa, though. I let the newlyweds have the front all to themselves. Instead I lied down with the camping stuff in the bed of the truck. It was pretty cool. Two hours of warm July air rushing past me at 65 miles per hour. You could say that by the time we got back to Cedar Falls I had blown that trip right out of my hair.

BENGI
When I woke up on Sunday everything was already done, except breaking down the tents. I don’t think Leo went to sleep on Saturday night because he looked like a beaten man when I came back from the washhouse. I would’ve helped break down the tents but he had done that in the ten minutes I was gone. He was obviously ready to get home.
Then he caught me completely off guard. He said that I should ask out Alyssa when we got home. It was relieving because I didn’t know how I was going to bring that up to him. I had already asked her out on the canoe, and I was debating whether or not I was going to tell him before I actually took her out.
Then we got in my truck and headed home. Leo decided to lay down in the bed of the truck for the entire ride—a little bit weird, but whatever. Alyssa and I continued joking and laughing, listening to country music and talking about where we were gonna go for our date. It was a great end to the trip. I could’ve never imagined that was the way it would all end, but I was glad.
I dropped Leo off first, and then took Alyssa home on the way to my place.
“Tuesday night is good?” I asked.
“Yeah, that would be great,” she said.
Then she leaned over and kissed me.

ALYSSA
I woke up and walked to the washhouse. I brushed my teeth, threw my hair into a pony-tail and then started back towards the site. I noticed Todd from the night before, tossing stuff in the back of his pick-up. I walked over to apologize and say goodbye.
“Hey,” I said. “Sorry about Leo,” I said. “He needs to be hospitalized.”
He sort of laughed. “It’s alright. He’s should be glad I was drunk…because I would’ve taught him a lesson.”
“Well, I’d still like to go out with you if you don’t mind driving to Cedar Falls.”
“I’d love to,” he said. “My cell phone is dead…to you have something to write on?” he asked.
“No. Here’s my lipstick and a napkin, though.”
I gave him my number and he folded it up and put it in his pocket.
“How’s Tuesday night?” he asked.
“Should be great…just call me,” I said and walked away.
When I got back to the campsite everything was completely packed up and ready to go. Leo decided he wanted to lay in the bed of the truck on the way home. I seriously think he needs to seek help.
We got back to my place just before 3 PM, and Bengi asked if I wanted to go out on Tuesday night. How ironic. I said it sounded great. I could either blow Todd off or maybe do a lunch date and a dinner date. That would be interesting. Anyway, I leaned across and gave Bengi a kiss, and then I went in the house. I powered up my cell phone and saw that Todd had already called me. What’s a girl to do when she’s wanted from every direction?

SMITTY
The good thing about not bringing anything on that camping trip was that I didn’t have to pack anything up. Leo did everything. I just walked out by the river, took a leak, and then hopped in my car. Mandy was already sitting in the passenger seat and she had already put on a CD. It was some terrible new female pop singer, sounded a lot like Britney Spears.
“We listened to your music on the way down,” she said, “Now it’s my turn.”
My life was going to be hell from then on. Oh well. It sure beats being alone all of the time.
When we got back to Cedar Falls I stopped by the Starbucks before going home.
“You’re really learning,” she said. I didn’t know what the hell she was talking about. I liked Starbucks—I guess that was a perk to her. “I’ll just wait here,” she said, “You know what I want.”
I had no idea what she wanted. I think she liked Frappucinos, but there’s a million different types of those. I guess I’d just get her what I always got, and hope that it went over well.
“Two Venti Iced Mochas with Pepperment and nonfat milk,” I said to the girl at the counter.
I walked back out to the car, praying I wouldn’t catch any crap from her. She took a sip, smiled and said, “I love you.”
I guess I picked right.

MANDY
I couldn’t wait to get home and take a shower. I felt like I had been living in pure filth for three straight days. I don’t consider brushing your teeth as qualified daily hygiene.
I tried helping Leo break down our tent but he said it would go a lot faster and easier if he did it by himself. So I got into Mark’s car and put on my Hillary Duff CD. I figured he would take it out immediately when he got in, but I wanted to test him—see if he learned anything from that weekend.
When he got in I said, “It’s my turn to pick the music.” He just nodded and went with it. I leaned over and kissed him. He was a good guy, and with a little bit of work and luck he’d be just what I liked.
Mark made a detour when we got back to Cedar Falls. He stopped at the Starbucks, and my heart nearly melted in my chest. All of this was too good to be true. “You know what I want,” I said, staying in the car. He walked out two minutes later and handed me the drink. I took a sip. Venti Iced Mocha with Peppermint and nonfat milk. He had really learned a thing or two on that trip. With any luck he’d take me to the Cayman Islands next year.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Sweet wrap-up, Piper. These characters seemed very real to me.

We all have our journeys. Some of us make it harder. Always so much to learn along the way.

Love you!

Alison said...

I'm going to be honest, i didn't read this little skit, but I am quite impressed with your blog - very professional, yet welcoming. Sorry, I didn't have time to read it as I visited your blog, but I won't let you down. How are the Staffers?