Sunday, February 7, 2010

All That I Am I Will Share With You

“I am reminding you, brothers and sisters,
of the gospel I preached to you,
which you indeed received and in which you also stand.
Through it you are also being saved,
if you hold fast to the word I preached to you,
unless you believed in vain.
For I handed on to you as of first importance what I also received:
that Christ died for our sins
in accordance with the Scriptures;
that he was buried;
that he was raised on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures;
that he appeared to Cephas, then to the Twelve.
After that, Christ appeared to more
than five hundred brothers at once,
most of whom are still living,
though some have fallen asleep.
After that he appeared to James,
then to all the apostles.
Last of all, as to one born abnormally,
he appeared to me.
For I am the least of the apostles,
not fit to be called an apostle,
because I persecuted the church of God.
But by the grace of God I am what I am,
and his grace to me has not been ineffective.
Indeed, I have toiled harder than all of them;
not I, however, but the grace of God that is with me.
Therefore, whether it be I or they,
so we preach and so you believed.”

1 Corinthians: 1-11

Today’s second reading by St. Paul was very special to me. In October, I read a book titled “The Personality of Saint Paul” and I truly believe that he intercedes for me, to help me find the words I need to relay Christ’s Word. I wish I was half as eloquent as Saint Paul, or I should say, spoke with as sweet a tone.

Recently I reached another epiphany—that I am who I am, and my calling is to use my creative talents to spread God’s Light, Love, and Word. I believe God has challenged me to use the gifts He has given me, to spread the Word to as many people and places as possible. Unfortunately, we live in a society that takes constructive criticism, or even guidance, as judgment. I have been made aware of that by a great deal of my peers. It confuses me, but I have to learn from it, not disregard it.

I feel as if I am convicted to tell the truth, and I cannot feel guilty for how people react to it. Recently I have learned how my words have a great impact on people, because I speak with conviction and passion. This is good and bad. It is good, because people listen to me, and seek the truth from me. It is bad, because I am merely human, and so prone to error. Also, I did not think about it this way until a few days ago, but there is no editing in conversation. Everything I say is first and final draft. With all of this in mind, I have decided to think very carefully before talking about anything, but especially the Faith.

My writing is another story. I have been blessed with the opportunity to spread God’s Love with stories of fiction, as well as interpreting scripture into modern day relevance. I can write something, read it over, re-write it, edit it, and mold it as much as needed until it is a TRUE act of LOVE for all who read it.

Jesus spoke to those who listened, but he died for everyone. I am going to sacrifice my life for others, not by dying, but by really LIVING. I am devoted to speaking the truth and being honest at all times. I am devoted to sharing with anyone my struggles and sufferings, my sins and shortcomings. In short, I would like to live an extraordinary life, as a very simple man, who positively affects the lives of many.

I believe that I have a great deal in common with Saint Paul (the man, not the saint). For too long I blasphemed God, not through my speech, but through my actions. I will sin until the day I die, but the great challenge is repentance, and growth. Actions speak louder than words, it is true. And an ACT of LOVE is always more endearing to the heart, and to God, than merely saying the words.

I invite all to join me on my spiritual journey, if even for just a short while. I have not been called to the priesthood, nor am I going to live in a monastery in Tibet. I will be right here, in the middle of this chaotic world, as a rock for those need me. Amen.

Love and GOD Forever,
Anthony Paul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While you are being a rock for those who need you you are also being a light unto the path of many. :-)
Blessings,
Carrie